Can direct mail be green? It can be and the best place to start is by greening your mailing list.
Every year, U.S. businesses send billions of pieces of mail that are undeliverable as addressed (UAA). We help our customers maintain a cleaner list by using ZIP Code correction, address standardization, change-of-address services (NCOA) and duplication removal. Here are some steps you can take to fine-tune your lists:
- Merge/purge mailing lists often to remove duplicate names/addresses.
- Use clean lists (address standardization and NCOA) to prevent mailing to ”bad” addresses (UAA).
- Provide frequent, clear opportunities for customers to opt-in and opt-out of your mailings.
- Allow customers to specify their preferred method of contact.
- Target mail efficiently using segmentation and modeling to select recipients.
- Personalize your message to increase relevance and reduce waste.
This is only the first step in greening your direct mail – but it is a very important one. Following the first few steps will save you money (less printing and postage) and the last two can reduce waste (once your mail arrives at its destination it won’t be considered “junk”).
So get started with greening your list – and if you need assistance with preventing UAA mail, give us a call!